Every week we track the business, tech and investment trends in CPG, retail, restaurants, agriculture, cooking and health, so you don’t need to . Here are a number of this week’s top headlines.
Check out our weekly round-up of last week’s top food startup, tech and innovation news below or peruse the complete newsletter here.
1. global climate change Threatens the World’s Food Supply, United Nations Warns – The ny Times
The report, prepared by quite 100 experts from 52 countries and released in summary form in Geneva on Thursday, finds that we must transform our food production and land management if we’ve an opportunity of staying under 2 degrees Celsius of worldwide warming.
2. We’re Leaving such a lot Food on Farms to only Rot within the Fields – Fast Company
Most of the reports you hear about garbage don’t even include the quantity that’s left behind on farms, but new research shows it’s around 33%.
3. Square Sells Food-Delivery Service Caviar to DoorDash for $410 Million – CNBC
According a securities filing, Square bought Caviar five years ago for $44.3 million.
Square CEO Jack Dorsey, said the move will allow Square to double down on investments and focus in its core payments businesses.
4. Sodexo Is Launching an Impossible Burger Menu at 1,500 U.S. Locations – The Spoon
Sodexo will offer plant-based version of a sausage muffin sandwich, sausage gravy and biscuits, steakhouse burger and creole burger.
5. Subway Partners With Beyond Meat as a part of Its Comeback Bid – CNBC
Subway is partnering with Beyond Meat, starting with a meatball marinara sub made with plant-based meatballs. The sandwich chain has been struggling in recent years after rapidly expanding across the U.S.
6. The Bowls at Chipotle and Sweetgreen Are alleged to be Compostable. They Contain Cancer-Linked “Forever Chemicals.” – The New Food Economy
Testing by The New Food Economy reveals an industry secret: Virtually all plant fibre bowls contain PFAS, troubling chemicals that don’t break down naturally within the environment. It gets worse from there.
7. ICE Raids Seven Mississippi Chicken Plants, within the Largest Single-State Action in Agency History – The New Food Economy
Immigration officials have raided multiple chicken plants in Mississippi, detaining 680 workers in what officials are calling the most important single-state sting in American history.
8. Stonyfield to Launch Smart-Farm Tech Initiative to Retain More Soil Carbon – Union Leader
Stonyfield Organic, the USDA’s LandPKS project and Foundation for Food and Agriculture (FFAR) are launching a replacement $10 million tech initiative to make smart farms, using predictive data models, spectral analysis and customised cover cropping techniques to scale back agricultural carbon emissions and help farmers maximize their profits. The initiative will work to develop a replacement open-source platform called OpenTeam.
9. Tyson Foods’ Raised & Rooted Nuggets ‘Made With Plants’ Are Rolling bent 4,000 Stores – FoodNavigator
The pea-protein fueled nuggets will roll out by the top of September, with blended burgers combining pea protein isolate and Angus beef to follow.
10. Arizona spoon Enters The Cannabis Market – CNBC
The maker of Arizona Tea is entering the marketplace for vape pens and cannabis-infused gummies and drinks through a licensing affect Dixie Brands.
11. Company Secures Millions to form Compostable Food Service Products From Grass – Forbes
Biomass solutions company Genera Energy has procured an investment of quite $118 million to supply compostable foodservice items from locally grown grasses.
12. Inari Raises $89m Series C to form Seeds Diverse Again – AgFunder
Flagship Pioneering lead the round alongside Investment Corporation of Dubai, EDBI and Acre Venture Partners. the corporate will use the funds to develop genomic tools including gene editing to enhance global seed diversity.
13. New Farm Policy Proposal – Elizabeth Warren
Presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren shares her plan for addressing farm issues, like consolidation, conservation and more.
14. Cory Booker Wants to Pay more Farmers to Practice Carbon Farming – Civil Eats
The Climate Stewardship Act, which Booker plans to propose in September, aims to ‘dramatically scale up’ voluntary conservation incentives for farmers and ranchers.
15. 2018 U.S. Food & Beverage Startup Investment Report
Over $1.45B was invested across 247 deals in 2018, consistent with the research in our second annual investment report produced in partnership with Ryan Willams. inspect the report for a deep dive into the investor and investment trends. We also share an entire list of deals and acquisitions.
16. Women, Women of Color & Gender Non-Conforming Innovator Database
We created this open-source list to extend representation, support and investment in women, women of colour & gender-nonconforming innovators in food. Join the list & help us spread the word using #womxninfood